Friday, June 18, 2010

Is my Ragdoll cat partially blind?

I have a beautiful male blue-point mitted Ragdoll cat. He has stunning blue eyes. However, I've noticed that sometimes, he appears to be trying to "look around" something that isn't there, to find the treats I've placed under his nose. It's as if there's an obstacle between him and the treats, as he cranes his neck in different directions to find them. Yet there is really nothing in the way. My vet told me that white cats with blue eyes have a 40% chance of being born blind, but my cat is "siamese" colored with medium-length hair. He acts normally while he plays or engages in other types of communication. Any Ragdoll breeders out there? Could he be partially blind?



Is my Ragdoll cat partially blind?

I am not a breeder, but I do know that cats cannot see directly under their noses due to the shape of their heads. This is why they seem to toy with their prey. They have to make sure that the prey is not conscience before they move in for the kill or they, the cats will risk getting bitten. But, I digress. When he goes to the vet for his annual check up, the vet should be able to tell you if he is blind or not.



Is my Ragdoll cat partially blind?

He's not a pure genetic white cat, so the chances of him being blind are actually less than that.



Cats simply cannot see that spot right under their nose, it's a cat thing, not a breed thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
low rate loans